- Brief history
- Organizational structure and team
- Scientific research and technology transfer
- Foreign cooperation
Brief history: Faculty of Information Technology (the predecessor of the School of Information and Communication Technology today) – Hanoi University of Science and Technology (HUST) was established in March 1995, on the basis of merging 03 Units under the University: Faculty of Informatics, Laboratory of Information Processing (Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications), and Center for Computers and Applied Informatics. At the time of its establishment, the Faculty was one of seven key information technology faculties established in Vietnam.
On May 19, 2009, the Ministry of Education and Training decided to establish the Institute of Information and Communication Technology (IT & ICT) on the basis of the Faculty of Information Technology and the Project to Support the Development of Undergraduate and Postgraduate Training in Education. ICT (Project HEDSPI) cooperation between the Governments of Vietnam and Japan.
In the roadmap of international integration and university autonomy of Hanoi University of Science and Technology, on the occasion of the 65th Anniversary of the University’s establishment (October 15, 2021), the Institute of Information and Communication Technology was reorganized and upgraded. became the School of Information and Communication Technology, together with the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and the School of Mechanical Engineering, becoming the first three schools in the process of transforming Hanoi University of Science and Technology into Hanoi University of Science and Technology according to the law. spirit of the 2018 revised Higher Education Law.
Over 27 years of establishment and development, the former Faculty of Information Technology, as well as the School of Information and Communications Technology, have made remarkable progress, worthy of being the flagship in training, research and technology transfer in the field of ICT in Vietnam. Vietnam. This is clearly demonstrated from the results of prestigious university rankings in the world. According to the 2022 announcement of Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), of the United Kingdom, by subject (QS ranking by subject 2022), the field of Computer Science and Information Systems of Hanoi University of Science and Technology ranked in the Top 10. 401-450 worldwide and continues to rank first in Vietnam.
About training: The school is providing training programs that are developed based on 03 pillars of the field of ICT in general, namely: Computer Science (Science), Computer Engineering (Economics), and Faculty of Science. Data Learning (DL). Currently, the School is offering:
- 02 standard training programs: KHMT (code IT1), and KTMT (code IT2);
- 05 Elitech advanced training programs (teaching in foreign languages, with modern training programs) under the Elitech system: Vietnam – Japan IT (HEDSPI, code IT-E5); Global IT (Global ICT, code IT-E6); Vietnam – France IT (IT-EP code); Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (DS-AI, code IT-E10); and Cybersecurity (Cyber Security, code IT-E15); and
- 01 Talented Bachelor Program: Computer Science.
With its established reputation, the School has always been a prestigious training address chosen by students and their families when pursuing their passion for ICT. In order to be eligible for admission to the school’s training programs, candidates must be in the Top1% group of A block scores in the national high school exam.
With good input and the help of highly qualified and experienced teachers, student groups of the University always win the top prizes at national and international competitions in IT such as: Global Informatics Olympiad. International Programming Competition, ICPC International Programming Competition, Students with Information Security, Samsung Programming… In 2019, the University’s student group was one of the 40 best teams that qualified for the Global Finals. ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest (ICPC) Finals Word 2018. This is the oldest and most prestigious international programming competition for students from all over the world. universities and colleges around the world. After 5 hours of continuous competition, the members of Hanoi University of Science and Technology have solved 5 exams and ranked at 41/135 participating schools.
Regarding scientific research and technology transfer: with a team of strong scientists in both quantity and quality, covering most of the important research areas of ICT, the University currently has a lot of potential to develop develop scientific research, with the orientation: (i) towards international standards, (ii) associated with training to develop high quality human resources, and most importantly, (iii) create quality research products for the socio-economic development of the country.
In recent years, the University has made outstanding scientific and technological achievements, typically: the number of articles published in ISI-Scopus-indexed journals in the following year doubled compared to the previous year. Over the past 3 years, resulting in an average rate of more than 1 ISI-Scopus publication/faculty; The University’s staff has continuously won prestigious Science and Technology awards such as: Vietnamese Talent Award, Golden Globe Award; and especially, the scientific research funding that is attracted is always higher than the previous year, with diverse and very competitive funding sources such as: National Science and Technology Program, Protocol, Independent Project State level, NAFOSTED Project of the Ministry of Science and Technology; Ministerial Project of the Ministry of Education and Training; Topics/Projects sponsored by VinIF and VinTech funds of VinGroup; International cooperation project sponsored by Horizon 2020, ERASMUS, US Army, Samsung, IBM…
- BKED word processing software, developed by Dr. Quach Tuan Ngoc, while working as a lecturer at the University of Science and Technology, is one of the first Vietnamese text editors in Vietnam.
- BKAV computer anti-virus software, developed by MSc. Nguyen Tu Quang, Lecturer in Computer Engineering Department: this is one of the most famous and popular anti-virus software in Vietnam.
- The NAVISTAR high-precision positioning system, developed by the research team of the NAVIS Center, led by Assoc. Ta Hai Tung, and Assoc. La The Vinh. The product has been awarded the First Prize of Vietnamese Talent 2015, and is currently being transferred technology to many units throughout the country.
- The Vbee speech synthesis system, developed by a research team led by Dr. Nguyen Thi Thu Trang, Department of Software Engineering. The product has won the First Prize of Vietnamese Talent 2018, and is now gradually asserting its foothold in the market;
- BKCA smart fingerprint scanner system deployed nationwide for the project of production, issuance and management of citizen identity of the Ministry of Public Security, was developed by Assoc. La The Vinh, Dr. Hoang Van Hiep, Dr. Pham Ngoc Hung, Dr. Nguyen Dinh Thuan, and Assoc. Ta Hai Tung.